Sunday, April 22, 2007

BACK FROM VACATION!

Sorry for the lack of updates folks. I've taken only my second vacation in the last 8 years! This one was very special for me for a couple of reasons.

1. It marked the first time I've gone more then 24hours without checking my email.
I actually went 6 days! Those who know me well, know that I'm a total control freak... ... well I used to be. You don't really need to be a control freak when you have great people around you that share your vision and have all the skills to boot! My producers kept all the productions together baby. Big props to Geremy, Daniel, Big Show and Dougie Little!

2. I got to spend alot of time with my wife and my parents!
This something that may seem "of normal" day to day activity for some of you. For me it's not something that happens very often. My parents travel alot and when they are actually here in Miramichi I'm usually too busy to spend time with them. Tara my wife, works with me so I get to see her everyday, but it's usually under the fast pace of the studio environment.

These past 5 days were quality hours spent with all of them. I wouldn't trade them for the world.

Which leads me to think, I wonder how many folks out there in the animation industry are neglecting their duties to their loved ones? Think of it, when was the last time you called your parents or went out to dinner with non-work related friends or even took your spouse for a walk or coffee?

Sometimes we need to remember that while this job in the industry is important to fill our creative wants and needs to not forget the people that help support us while we do this for ourselves. How about paying them back with some of the same exclusive focus and attention that goes into all those designs, storyboards or scenes we're animating?

You can do it too, don't worry about work, that will always be there, we can't always say that about our loved ones.

So don't wait.

Gene.

No comments:

Post a Comment