Wednesday, January 3, 2007

PRESCOTT WRIGHT (1935-2006)

Karl Cohen (president of ASIFA-San Francisco) reports that Prescott Wright, a co-founder of the Ottawa International Animation Festival and ASIFA-San Francisco, and the original producer of the Tournee of Animation, has passed away.

Prescott had been in slow decline for several years with Picks Syndrome, a form of dementia related to Alzheimer. He died on December 28th at age 71.

In 1998 when I was chosen along with Andre Guy Landry to lead NBCC Miramichi's Animation Program a long with the Province of New Brunswick in a young entrepreneur trade mission to San Francisco I had a chance to meet with Prescott Wright.

He took Andre and I, (then two wide eyed students) to a local deli, fed us some chicken sandwhiches and talked of the days of old. We then went back to his studio and he showed us his old Oxford Camera. At that point in 1998 Digital Animation was taking shape and Andre and I had never even seen an Oxford Camera before.

I have a lot of fond memories of Prescott, I hope I can live up to his legacy in some small by way, even if I'm as nice to students as he was to me.

Thanks Prescott.

gene.


Thanks to www.cartoonbrew.com

No comments:

Post a Comment